Tortilla pinwheels are great for a summer snack or appetizer–they’re easy to make and, best of all, you don’t have to use your oven to make them! I try to make no-bake things on hot days to help keep things cool inside.
Let me just say that it does take a little practice to get nicely shaped pinwheels. The two most important things to remember are to roll up the tortillas tightly and refrigerate at least several hours. They’re much easier to slice and they keep their shape better when you do these two things.
VEGGIE TORTILLA PINWHEELS by NancyC
Makes about 4 dozen pinwheels
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (4.25-ounce) can chopped black olives
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 (8-inch) or 5 (10-inch) flour tortillas (flavored or plain)
In medium-size bowl, mix softened cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese until well blended. Add in chopped green onions, red bell pepper, green chilies, and black olives, blending everything together. Stir in parsley flakes, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread mixture in a thin layer over one side of each flour tortillas. Roll tortillas up tightly, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
(You’ll probably have some extra cream cheese mixture left over–you may be able to make another tortilla roll with it, or save it to use as a spread on some bread).
Remove from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and place each tortilla roll seam side down. Cut into slices about 1/2″ thick (a small serrated knife works best for slicing). Arrange on a large tray or platter and serve.
Just about everyone loves these pinwheels, so you can’t go wrong making these for a potluck or party. Have you make tortilla pinwheels before?
Sharing at Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, Meal Plan Monday, Inspire Me Monday