This Banana Spice Loaf is a great recipe to make as summer turns into autumn—it’s a sweet, moist banana bread spiced with nutmeg, allspice, and cloves! And it’s topped not only with a glaze, but a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and walnuts, too. So there’s lots to love about this banana bread! 🙂Continue reading
Just a warning here…this Chiles Rellenos Bake is very addicting! Made in a square baking pan, you cut it into squares, and it makes such a great, cheesy appetizer or snack—or even a tasty brunch side dish! It’s really hard to stop eating!
The flavor of the chiles blended with the cheese is so good! Whatever the occasion or meal you make this for, I’m sure it will be a big hit! If you need more servings for a larger crowd, double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13″ pan. If you happen to have leftovers, it reheats in the microwave well too!Continue reading
I have always been a fan of quiche. It makes a great breakfast, especially on the weekends when there’s more time to linger at the table and enjoy it with coffee or tea. I like all kinds of quiche and thought cherry tomatoes would be a great ingredient to add to one!Continue reading
When blueberry season comes around, I love baking with those fresh berries! So I thought I’d try combining blueberries and bananas in a bread, and I also decided to add a little oatmeal–I thought oatmeal would give it a nice texture and make a nice quick bread for breakfast.
This bread is so moist and packed with blueberries! It’s sweet, but not overly sweet–and the ripe bananas add just the right amount of sweetness and moistness to the bread. I actually didn’t taste my loaf until the day after I baked it, and it was wonderful the day after! I’m not sure what it tastes like while still warm, but I’m guessing it’s pretty good. The flavor of the bread is so good you really don’t need to put anything on it–but you can always add a little dab of butter on a warm slice, or lightly spread some cream cheese on a cooled slice if you want.
BLUEBERRY OAT BANANA BREAD by NancyC
Makes one 8 x 4″ loaf
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas (2 to 3 bananas, depending on size)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour an 8 x 4″ loaf pan.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In medium bowl, blend olive oil, milk, and egg, blending well, then add vanilla and mashed bananas, blending everything well. Add this mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350˚F for 50 to 52 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Fresh blueberries are the best! What types of treats do you like to make with them?
I’m such a bread lover–I love all kinds of breads, rolls, bagels–you name it. But I’ve found that I really have to watch how much bread I eat because it tends to want to stick with me–can you relate? 🙂 So when I was asked if I’d like to try out some Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, and Bagel Thins®, I was definitely interested! Especially when I found out they are endorsed by Weight Watchers®, and are just 110 calories each or less. I received coupons for free product, product information, and a gift card to cover the cost of my recipe ingredients, courtesy of Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, and Bagel Thins®. I tried out some recipes, like the one shown in the photo above, plus a few others. I’ll share these with you, and then I’ll tell you more about my Gift Card and Coupon giveaway at the end of the post!
- The Sandwich Thins® Rolls have zero grams of Trans Fat, no high fructose corn syrup, are cholesterol free, and come in 100% Whole Wheat, Multi-Grain, Honey Wheat, and Flax & Fiber.
- The Pocket Thins® Flatbreads also have zero grams of Trans Fat, no high fructose corn syrup, are cholesterol free, and come in 8 Grain, 100% Whole Wheat, and Italian Herb.
- The Bagel Thins® Bagels have zero grams of Trans Fat, are low in fat, cholesterol free, and come in 100% Whole Wheat, Plain, Cinnamon Raisin, and Everything.
Here are the recipes I made with them…
BLACK BEAN HUMMUS BAGEL THINS® BAGEL adapted from Thomas’®
Makes 1 serving
- 1 Thomas® 100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins® bagel (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 4 Tablespoons black bean hummus (I used my own Black Bean Hummus recipe, but there’s also an easy one you can make from the original recipe here)
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sliced black olives
Separate and toast a bagel. Place bagel down open-faced and top each half with 2 Tablespoons of black bean hummus, 1 Tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt (or low-fat sour cream), 1 Tablespoon salsa, 1/2 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 Tablespoon sliced black olives. Serve immediately. For more servings, just multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you want to make.
CHICKEN CAESAR POCKET adapted from Thomas’®
Makes 1 pocket sandwich
- 1 Oroweat® Italian Herb Pocket Thins® flatbread (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 2/3 cup Romaine lettuce leaves, chopped into small pieces (or use a Romaine lettuce mix)
- 3 slices thin-sliced deli chicken, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 heaping Tablespoon shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons non-fat Caesar salad dressing
Toss chopped lettuce leaves, chicken, Parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing together in small bowl. Fill Italian Herb Pocket Thin® with lettuce mixture and serve.
GRAPE TOMATO BRUSCHETTA adapted from Arnold® Bread
Makes 2 slices of bruschetta
- 1 Arnold® Sandwich Thins® Honey Wheat roll, separated (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise (be sure to slice them lengthwise–I sliced mine the wrong way and they didn’t lay on the roll as well!)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil or garlic-infused olive oil
- 3 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Toast the separated Sandwich Thins® rolls to a light golden brown. In a bowl, mix sliced grape tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Stack basil leaves and roll them in the shape of a log. Horizontally slice the rolled basil, making ribbons. Toss most of the cut basil with the tomatoes, reserving a little for garnish.
Spoon dressed tomatoes on top of each toasted Sandwich Thins® half and garnish with the remaining basil ribbons and shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy trying these recipes out! 🙂
THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED–Winning comment is #18!
Now for the Giveaway–a $25 Visa gift card and coupon for free product! If you’d like to enter to win a $25 Visa gift card, plus a coupon for free product shown in this post (Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, or Bagel Thins), leave a comment on this blog post between now and Sunday, March 30 at 8 p.m. (CST)–the random drawing will be made from the comments on this post only! The winner will be chosen randomly via Random.org and announced on Sunday evening, March 30. Winner will be notified via email (if winner does not respond in 3 days, I’ll do another drawing). Giveaway is limited to readers in the Continental U.S. and Canada.
First entry: Leave a comment on this post–it would be great to hear what your favorite healthy sandwich is!
Bonus entry: If you are a new or existing follower or subscriber, you can leave one extra comment telling me the way (or ways) you are following.
Note: If your comment doesn’t show up right away, it just means I need to click on it to approve it before it’s visible–I do this because of spam comments that sometimes come through!