Some friends have shared summer squash from their gardens with me and I love roasted veggies, so I decided to roast some squash last weekend. Roasted Summer Squash and Tomatoes makes a great summer side dish or even a light meal. You can also serve it over pasta for a more filling lunch or dinner. Add some chopped chicken or turkey to it too, if you like. I really like it just the way it is…the tasty, tender roasted veggies flavored with some herbs and seasonings, garlic and onion, and the wonderful taste of Parmesan cheese!
There’s a lot of veggie chopping involved in making this, but it’s an easy recipe to put together and it only takes 30 minutes for the veggies to roast! And it gives you the opportunity to use lots of garden-fresh produce, whether you grow your own or buy it from your local farmer’s market. To save time on the prep work, you can cut up and chop your veggies the evening before you plan on making it.
Roasted Summer Squash and Tomatoes
ROASTED SUMMER SQUASH AND TOMATOES by NancyC
Makes 6 servings
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini, cut in 1/2″ thick slices or chunks (about 2 medium-size zucchini or 1 1/2 large–if using large zucchinis, you can cut the slices in halves or fourths so they’re easier to eat)
- 2 1/2 cups sliced yellow squash, cut in 1/2″ thick slices or chunks
- 1 small- to medium-size yellow onion, cut in fourths and sliced 1/2″ thick
- 5 large-size (or 1 lb. of smaller-size) Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/2″ thick (if using large tomatoes, you can cut the slices in half if you want)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cups shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of fresh or dried parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a 13×18″ rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, oregano, and thyme.
In large bowl, place sliced zucchini, squash, onion, and tomatoes together. Drizzle olive oil mixture from small bowl over the top of the veggies and gently toss to coat everything evenly.
Place on prepared baking sheet, spreading in an even layer, and season with salt, pepper, and paprika, if desired. Top everything with the breadcrumbs, then sprinkle on 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400˚F for 30 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Garnish with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and the parsley, and serve.
Recipe from NancyC | nancy-c.com
This is actually a great dish to make all year round, not just in the summertime, especially if you love roasted veggies. Do you have a veggie garden and what kind of veggies are you growing?
Sharing at Weekend Potluck, Mix it Up Monday, Silver Pennies Sundays, Inspire Me Monday, Happiness is Homemade, Meal Plan Monday, Fiesta Friday, Thursday Favorite Things, Full Plate Thursday, Wonderful Wednesday, Hearth & Soul.