What could be better than a steaming bowl of chicken noodle soup on a chilly day? Well, if you’re a casserole lover, it could be this Chicken Noodle Casserole! It has that delicious chicken noodle soup flavor with some cheese and veggies added in and a yummy cracker crumb topping!Continue reading
After having some wonderful spring-like days in the middle of winter, more cold and snow came this past week–brrr! I’ve always liked having a bowl of hot chicken noodle soup to warm up in weather like this. When I decided to make some chicken soup at the spur of the moment, I didn’t have a lot of fresh veggies on hand, but I did have a large can of homestyle chunky veggies. So I made a really easy chicken soup with that–very chunky and brimming with veggies, noodles, and lots of diced chicken. It’s a little more work than opening a can of soup, but since this is more like homemade, it’s worth the little extra effort!
HOMESTYLE CHICKEN VEGGIE NOODLE SOUP by NancyC, adapted from Betty Crocker
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 Tablespoon non-GMO canola oil or light olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (slice up both the green and white part)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (29-ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained (carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, onions–I used Veg-All Homestyle Large Cut Vegetables) or use an equivalent amount of mixed frozen veggies
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups (6 ounces) uncooked egg noodles
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a large saucepan (3-quart or larger), heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and green onions and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in remaining ingredients and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender. Serve immediately.
I love how chunky this chicken soup is! Do you make homemade chicken soup often?