Whether you’re wanting to make a good game-watching snack or just something your family can munch on, this 7-Layer Dip is really easy to put together! It has all the great Tex-Mex ingredients and flavors that everyone loves…a tasty refried bean base layer topped with guacamole, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, a mix of diced tomatoes and salsa, green onions, and black olives!Continue reading
I like eating soup in the cold winter months, and this is an easy soup recipe I came up with the other day. It’s a thick and chunky soup with ground beef, beans, and veggies in it, and you can make it without the beef, too, substituting chicken or more beans in place of the meat. Jalapenos give the soup a little spiciness, along with the taco seasoning you mix in. Make it in a big pot and you’ll have enough soup to serve 6 to 8 people. Serve it with some bread or rolls–it makes a nice hot lunch or dinner on a cold day!
BEEF OR CHICKEN TEX-MEX SOUP by NancyC
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes (regular or no salt)
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked, crumbled, and drained of excess fat OR 1 lb. chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or cut into chunks (you could use leftover rotisserie chicken in this, too); if you want to make this meatless, substitute an extra can of pinto or kidney beans for the meat
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 to 12-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced jalapenos (from a can or jar, or fresh, with seeds removed)
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- sliced green onion stems for garnish (optional)
In large stockpot, over medium heat, add diced tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and taco seasoning, blending well. Add in cooked ground beef or chicken, diced onion, beans, corn, and jalapenos, stirring everything well. Turn heat high enough to heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately and garnish with sour cream and green onion slices if desired.
Do you have a favorite winter soup you like making?