I had some peaches that were really getting ripe and peach cupcakes seemed like a great way to use them! So I made some cupcakes with chopped peaches in the batter and frosted them with cream cheese frosting. Then I topped each cupcake with a fresh peach slice.Continue reading
Are you growing cucumbers in your garden this year? Here’s a recipe you can use those cucumbers in! It’s perfect for summer because it’s a little fruity, lightly sweet, and a little spicy–good with tortilla chips or as a side dish with chicken or fish. And it’s very easy to make! I like that this salsa has peaches in it because that’s one of my favorite summer fruits. The lime juice and peach preserves add a nice light touch of tangy sweetness–and if you want a sweeter salsa, stir some honey into the salsa. You can also make it even fruitier by substituting small chunks of watermelon for the red bell pepper.
PEACH CUCUMBER SALSA by NancyC
Makes about 5 1/2 cups
- 3 cups pitted and chopped peaches, peeled or unpeeled (about 1 1/2 lbs. or 3 to 4 peaches)
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or for a fruitier salsa, substitute 2 cups of small watermelon chunks)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (both the white parts and stems)
- 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon seeded and finely chopped jalapeno
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons peach preserves (or substitute apricot preserves)
- Optional: add a little honey to taste for a sweeter salsa
In medium bowl, toss together chopped peaches, cucumber, red bell pepper, green onions, and jalapeno.
In small bowl, mix the lime juice and peach (or apricot) preserves, blending well. Pour over the chopped peach-cucumber mixture and toss until everything is coated. For a sweeter salsa, you can mix in some honey if you want. You can serve this salsa with tortilla chips or as a side with chicken or fish.
To make ahead: You can prepare this salsa up to 2 hours before serving; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve and stir to blend ingredients before serving.
I don’t have a veggie garden this year, but I really appreciate my friends who share their veggies with me–like the cucumber I used in this salsa! What’s your favorite recipe that uses cucumbers?