I realize that this is a recipe many of you may not be too excited about…but you should be. Because beets are really good for you, and this is a great-tasting way to have them! I’m not super-crazy about beets myself, but I liked this smoothie. Not only does it taste good, but you also reap the many benefits of beets…
- Beets are know to help prevent and fight against cancer, especially colon cancer–high in fiber, they increase the production of special immune cells that destroy cancer cells in the colon. Betacyanin, the pigment that gives beets their red color, is what helps fight the cancer.
- Eating beets regularly can lower LDL cholesterol by up to 30 percent.
- Beets have antiinflammatory benefits because they contain betaine, which can reduce inflammation in joints, bones, the throat, and blood vessels by 20 percent, which is helpful for people with osteoporosis and asthma.
- Beets contain antioxidants and help your liver produce even more natural antioxidants.
- Beets contain folic acid, necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells, which is important for pregnant women and anyone who is going through physical healing from an injury.
- Beets help protect your body against heart disease.
- Beets help cleanse your blood, your colon, and strengthen your gall bladder and liver.
- Beets help fight against tumors and are beneficial in helping people who have blood diseases and leukemia.
Sources: 15 Health Benefits of Beets and Health Benefits of Beets.
Are you a little more interested in trying out this beet smoothie now? Here’s the recipe if you decide to make it…
BEET SMOOTHIE by NancyCreative
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed is best!)
- 1/2 cup shredded or finely chopped raw beets
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 banana
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth and well-blended. Serve immediately.
Do you like beets? What’s your favorite way to make them?