I remember the first time I had cornbread, in my twenties—there was a soup and salad place I would often eat lunch at that had really good basic cornbread, and I’ve been a fan of it ever since! I was thinking it would be nice to make a savory cornbread with cheese and green onions, since I’m also a fan of those savory flavors. It just seemed like they would be a great addition to cornbread.
You just can’t go wrong adding Cheddar cheese and green onion to a savory recipe, right? And cornbread is no exception! I really like the taste of this Cheddar and Green Onion Cornbread, and I hope you do, too! 🙂
CHEDDAR AND GREEN ONION CORNBREAD by NancyC
Makes a 9″ round pan of cornbread, about 8 servings
- 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sharp or extra-sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (you can slice both the white onion head and the green stems) NOTE: If you want to give your cornbread a little more “kick,” add 2 Tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos, seeds removed, when you are adding the green onions into the mixture.
- 2/3 cup Half and Half (light cream)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (or you can omit the Half and Half and use 1 1/3 cup buttermilk)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 425˚F. Grease a round 9″ cake pan; set aside.
In large bowl, blend the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Gently fold in the shredded Cheddar cheese and green onions (and the jalapenos, if desired), mixing until everything is combined.
In a medium size bowl, whisk the Half and Half, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter until well-blended. Add this egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Bake at 425˚F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve warm.
This cornbread tastes great with or without butter, but it definitely needs to be served warm! If you’re making it much earlier before serving time, just reheat the wedges in the microwave before serving. It’s great for breakfast, served with eggs and bacon or sausage, and also great for lunch or dinner, served with chili or soup! Are you a cornbread fan too?
Sharing at Meal Plan Monday, Weekend Potluck, Farmhouse Friday, Fiesta Friday, Grace at Home, Thursday Favorite Things, Full Plate Thursday, Homestead Blog Hop, Wonderful Wednesday, LouLou Girls, Create with Joy, Happiness is Homemade.