Quiche is one of my favorite breakfast foods and asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. So of course I had to try this quiche recipe when I saw it at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage! To save time, I was going to use a frozen unbaked pie shell instead of making my own crust. As I started preparing the ingredients, it just didn’t seem like everything would fit in just one pie shell, so I changed the recipe slightly and ended up with two delicious quiches! In addition to ham and asparagus, the quiche also has red bell pepper, mushrooms, and green onions, so it’s filled with lots of delicious veggies. If you don’t like ham, you could substitute chicken or turkey. Or if you’re not a meat-eater, you could increase the amounts of the veggie ingredients to make up for the ham and it would still be delicious. This is a great breakfast or brunch item you can serve any time of the year…and it goes great with Kiwi-Cantaloupe Fruit Salad!
HAM AND ASPARAGUS QUICHE by NancyCreative, adapted from Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Makes 2 quiches
- Two 9″ unbaked pie shells (I used Pillsbury® Pet Ritz® Frozen Pie Crusts)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped asparagus, plus asparagus spears to garnish the top, if desired (you can use 6 to 9 spears for each quiche in a spoke-like pattern on top, or just lay one long spear across the top of each quiche, which is what I did)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 to 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (or you can substitute canned mushroom pieces)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup green onions, chopped (chop both the onion tops and the stems)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried Thyme)
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup ham, chopped in small cubes
Prepare your favorite pie crust or use unbaked frozen pie crusts, thawed for about 5 minutes. Bake crusts at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, just until they begin to turn brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
In a hot skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add the chopped asparagus, red bell pepper, mushrooms, green onions, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute the mix until the onions begin to turn translucent. Remove from heat, set aside, and let cool.
In a large bowl, beat 7 eggs at room temperature with 2 cups half & half. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, parsley, and thyme; mix well. Add 2 cups of the Swiss cheese, the chopped ham, and the sautéed vegetables, and blend, distributing the ingredients evenly in egg mixture.
With the remaining cup of shredded Swiss cheese, sprinkle 1/2 cup over the bottom of each lightly browned pie crust. Pour the egg, ham and vegetable mixture into the pie crusts, dividing mixture evenly between the two. Place whole asparagus on top for garnish, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool completely before serving.