Here’s a yummy dip recipe that’s great for summer snacking as well as game-watching all year round! I love recipes like this that are so easy to make, and because this 5-Layer Mexican Dip has refried black beans, olives, green onions, and chopped tomato in it, it’s a little healthy, right? 🙂 You could make it even healthier by using light sour cream instead of regular sour cream. Or, if you like plain Greek yogurt, you could even substitute that for the sour cream. And if you use low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, you have a lower-calorie dip that’s still really tasty!Continue reading
The first time I had a hot artichoke dip was up in Kansas City at a friend’s home. She had a dinner party and served it as her appetizer. I had never had anything like it and it was so good! Since then, I’ve seen several variations of hot artichoke dips. I found this first recipe at Kraft Foods. I’m also including other versions that I’ve found in a few cookbooks. The recipes are all pretty similar, so you can take your pick…the Kraft recipe has both spinach and artichokes in it and most of the others just have artichokes mixed with the other ingredients.
This is a great appetizer for dinner and a tasty snack if you’re watching a football game with a group of friends. You can serve it with crackers and/or veggies and it also goes well with those large scoop corn chips. Here’s the Kraft recipe I made…it smells so good when you take it out of the oven, you’re going to want to eat it up right away!
CHEESY SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP adapted from Kraft FoodsMakes 2 3/4 cup or 22 (2 Tbsp.) servings
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, finely chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2–1 tsp. garlic powder (I used 1 tsp. because I like a stronger garlic flavor)
- additional 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese for sprinkling on top (optional)Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a medium-size bowl. Spoon into a 9-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. If you want to sprinkle additional Mozzarella cheese on top, add that the last 3 to 5 minutes of baking). Serve with crackers, assorted cut-up fresh veggies, or large scooping corn chips.VARIATIONS ON THIS DIP: You can substitute 1 envelope (0.7 oz.) GOOD SEASONS Italian Salad Dressing Mix for the garlic powder.To make a SPINACH AND MUSHROOM DIP, substitute 1 cup chopped mushrooms for the artichokes.
- 1 (14-oz.) can artichokes, drained
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In large bowl, mash artichokes with a fork. Add mayonnaise and cheese. Spread the mixture in a small baking pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until top is slightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
- 2 (6-oz.) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. dried tarragon
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over very low heat for about 30 minutes. Transfer to a medium serving bowl and serve warm.
- 1 (14-oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (you can use freshly grated or the kind that comes in a canister, like the Kraft® brand)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- 1 (14-oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (7-oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Combine the ingredients in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes. Serve warm. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
The next two recipes are from By Special Request: Old Recipes for a New Generation.
ARTICHOKE PARTY DIP (this one’s not a hot dip, but it sounded good)
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 (.7-oz.) packages Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 (14-oz.) can artichoke hearts
- Juice of one lemon
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
Squeeze liquid from artichoke hearts and chop into small pieces. Mix all ingredients and chill. Serve with chips or crackers.
- 2 (14-oz.) cans artichoke hearts
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash Tabasco sauce
Drain artichokes well. Chop and combine with all ingredients. Spoon into a greased 1-quart casserole dish. Bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve hot with melba rounds or crackers.
Hope you enjoy trying some of these recipes out!