Holiday Peanut Butter Chocolate Meltaways

ncPBmeltaways2nm If you are looking for quick and easy recipes for holiday sweets, this is one you’ll want to try out! There are  just 4 simple ingredients: white chocolate (or vanilla) baking chips, dark chocolate (or semi-sweet chocolate) chips, creamy peanut butter, and coconut oil (or shortening). I like using coconut oil instead of shortening myself. ncPBmeltaways4nm Now I’m not much of a candy-maker, but these are so easy, anyone can make them! You don’t even have to decorate them–you can just pour the melted candy mixture into the mini baking cups and be done with it. But I decided to decorate mine and bought these Wilton supplies in the baking department of my local craft store. ncPBMeltaways5nm You can probably find these items or similar items in a store near you. Or, you can make your own icing and decorate with that–I bought my icing to save a little time. The important thing to remember with these is to keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to serve them…if they sit at room temperature for a length of time, they soften and are hard to eat! I’ll give you the Peanut Butter Chocolate Meltaway recipe first and then tell you a little more about how I decorated them…

HOLIDAY PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE MELTAWAYS by NancyCreative, adapted from Taste of Home

Makes about 4 dozen

• 1 (12-ounce) package white chocolate (or vanilla) baking chips
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips (or you can substitute semi-sweet)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (or you can use shortening)
  • 4 to 5 dozen miniature baking liners or candy cups (it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra!)
  • assorted decorations, frosting, icing, etc. (optional)

Combine first four ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir. Then return to microwave and cook an additional 30 seconds on high; remove and stir until mixture is smooth.

Separate and arrange empty mini baking liners or candy cups on a clean 10×15″ jelly roll pan. Pour melted chocolate mixture into the mini liners, filling until almost full (if you have a microwaveable mixing bowl with a narrow lip or spout, you can pour the mixture right from that. I didn’t have a lip on my bowl, so I poured the melted chocolate mixture into my liquid glass measuring cup and then poured the mixture into the mini baking liners with that, refilling my measuring cup several times).

Place the sheet of filled mini liners into your refrigerator and chill until set. After they’re set (I let mine chill for about an hour), you can decorate them if you want. If you’re not eating these right away, keep stored in refrigerator until ready to serve.

ncPBmeltaways3nm

TO DECORATE: You can make little star shapes with a tube of Wilton Decorating Icing, which is very quick and easy to do (make sure you get those plastic tips–sometimes they’re sold separately). Or do the same thing with your own frosting and decorating tools. You can also use small pre-made cookie decorations (I chose some candy canes)–just put some purchased or homemade icing on the back of the decorations (using purchased cookie icing makes this easy because the container has a small tip), then turn the little shape over and place on top of your Peanut Butter Meltaway (the icing works as a “glue” to stick the little shapes onto your candies).

ncPBMeltaways1nm

So easy, cute, and festive! Do you have a favorite candy recipe you like to make at the holidays?

Advertisements

49 thoughts on “Holiday Peanut Butter Chocolate Meltaways

1. Donna C

These are just adorable and I’m definitely going to make some. Thanks for all the great recipes. I love your blog!

2. Anne

Nancy, these are absolutely adorable! And it looks simple enough too. I’m looking to check out your shortbread squares recipe. Will have to blog about it when I have that up. Thanks for sharing –I love easy sweet treat recipes.

3. Anna

Just made these as a treat for my hubby’s employees. My daughter kicked the bowl and tried to climb in….lol. She is very picky and loved them! Thanks for a teen-ager approved treat!

4. Linda Pierson

I read in the narrative if the candy is left at room temperature, it will get too soft. I thought chocolate candy was to be stored at room temperature so it doesn’t turn gray / bloom ?

1. nancyc Post author

You could probably make these several days ahead if you needed to. Make sure you don’t refrigerate them near foods with strong odors (like onions, for example).

5. Tami

Hi, these taste absolutely amazing! However, despite following the ‘cooking’ directions to a tea, I cannot get the chocolate texture right and mine look like globs instead of pretty like yours (because you can tell that your chocolate was truly a pourable liquid). Any tips/suggestions. I have to finish making all of mine tomorrow. Thank you

1. nancyc Post author

Hi Tami–sorry to hear that! The only reason I can think of why the chocolate mixture would be clumpy is that it might just need to be heated a little more–maybe another 30 seconds to a minute. Other than that, I’m not sure why it would clump up. Hope that helps!

2. Carolyn

I realize this post is a couple years old, but here’s another answer: if you used chocolate chips, they have stabilizers in them to PREVENT them from melting fully. If you use candy melts instead of chips, that problem should go away. I used white chocolate chips in my Peanut butter meltaways this year and had the same problem (was too lazy to go to Michaels to get the candy melts😀). My family makes this every year. It’s delicious!

1. nancyc Post author

Thanks for your tip, Carolyn! I also have discovered that if you overheat the chocolate, that can cause clumsiness, too. But the candy melts sound like a good way to go! 🙂

6. Pingback: Chocolate Covered Anything Day- 12 Chocolate Covered Treats! | Daily Holiday Blog

7. Roberta

I made these and they came out hard as rocks. I did half the recipe, I don’t know if that was the problem or what.

1. nancyc Post author

That probably was–if you halved the ingredients, you wouldn’t have had to heat them in the microwave as long. Sounds like you overcooked the chocolate mixture. Half the time probably would have been enough.

8. Lauren

Do you need to have the mini cupcake tins for this? I have the liners, and only one (12 cake) pan.. I don’t want to have to keep reheating the mixture to reuse my pan, but I’m worried that if I just fill the liners without them being in something, they’ll collapse.
    Thanks!

1. nancyc Post author

Hi Lauren–you don’t need the mini cupcake tins–just place your mini liners on a large baking sheet as mentioned in the recipe and pour the melted mixture right into the liners–I didn’t have any problems with the liners collapsing, so you should be fine!

9. Jill

Made these today and they are wonderful, can’t wait to make them for my son’s birthday party decorated Packer green and gold!

10. Robin Mullins

Is there an option for making these without the peanut butter? My son is allergic and I try not to make treats that he can’t enjoy.

Comments are always appreciated!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s