Since I love hummus so much, I’ve been interested in trying more recipes using garbanzo beans, or chickpeas. So when I saw this recipe from Spice Islands, I thought I’d give it a try. I love all the healthy, colorful ingredients this Lemon Pepper Garbanzo Salad has in it! I added just a bit more lime juice and lemon pepper seasoning because I like the tanginess of those flavors. And I mistakenly used a whole can of black beans instead of the 1 cup the original recipe called for, but I liked it with the extra black beans. The chopped veggies add a flavorful crunchiness when combined with the black beans and garbanzo beans, and the seasonings in this salad give it a great taste. It’s easy to make, so try it out when you get a chance!
LEMON PEPPER GARBANZO SALAD by NancyCreative, adapted from Spice Islands
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup celery, diagonally cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 medium-sized pepper)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 medium-sized pepper)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dried cilantro
- 2 to 2 1/4 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 2 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Combine beans, celery, peppers, and red onion in a large serving bowl.
Mix cilantro, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic, cumin, vinegar, lime juice, and olive oil in a separate bowl. Pour over bean and pepper mixture and stir to thoroughly combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour to blend flavors, then serve.
All those colorful ingredients are a feast for the eyes, aren’t they? It’s a great side dish and if you want to make a meal out of it, you can serve a cup of this over lettuce greens–you won’t need to use any other dressing with this flavorful mix of beans and veggies!