I’m reviewing the First Watch cookbook!
If you’re lucky enough to live near a First Watch restaurant, you may already know about the fresh, fabulous meals available on their menu! They are one of the best places I know to go for breakfast, brunch, or lunch (this is a “Daytime Cafe,” open from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. every day). Freshness is a big deal at First Watch. As they say on their website, “…We begin each morning at the crack of dawn, slicing fresh fruits and vegetables, baking muffins and whipping up our French toast batter from scratch. Everything is made to order and freshness is never compromised.”
When I read that, I wanted to run right over to the recently-opened First Watch near me! I actually did go with a friend and we had a wonderful brunch there. I was deciding between the super-healthy Brilliant Beet Toast and the classic Farmhouse Hash (both pictured below)—I decided on the Beet Toast, which was super-good, and will get the Farmhouse Hash next time! I don’t think you can go wrong with anything you order on their menu—everything looks so appetizing!If you visit their website at FirstWatch.com, you can see where their restaurants are located. And if there isn’t one near you, here’s some good news—they have their own cookbook, First Watch, available on their website! They also sell it at their restaurants. And I’m happy to say that I’m having a giveaway for this cookbook right here, for one lucky winner!
The First Watch cookbook (softcover) has over 60 recipes and the full color photographs are really stunning—they definitely inspire you to want to get cooking! Here’s a sampling of some of the recipes you’ll find in the book:
- Million Dollar Bacon
- Morning Market Vegetable Omelet
- Huevos Rancheros Tostadas
- Floridian French Toast
- Lemon Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes
- Elevated Egg Sandwich
- Farmer’s Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich
- Ham & Gruyere Melt
- Sunrise Granola Bowl
- Sweet Honey Chicken Pecan Salad
- Pot Roast Hash
- Chilled Pear Cider
The recipes are just about everything you could dream of having for a wonderful breakfast, brunch, or lunch!
I decided to make their First Watch Potatoes because they are such a popular menu item and because I am a huge fan of potatoes! 🙂 This recipe makes one serving, so just multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you want to make!
First Watch Potatoes
FIRST WATCH POTATOES
Makes 1 serving
- 1 pound potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onions, julienned
- 1 Tablespoon First Watch Seasoning* (or just season with salt and pepper)
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add diced potatoes and cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until just al dente.
- Drain potatoes and immediately plunge into 3 quarts of ice water to stop cooking. Stir occasionally and strain potatoes from ice water once completely cooled (about 5 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, combine potatoes with onions.
- Sprinkle seasoning over potatoes, add oil, and toss well, ensuring potatoes are evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
- Heat an electric griddle or nonstick pan over high heat.
- Add potatoes and cook for 4 1/2 minutes. Be careful not to crowd the pan, as you won’t get proper browning.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix potatoes, separating the browned sides from the griddle and mixing with uncooked potatoes.
- Continue to cook for an additional 4 1/2 minutes (for approximately 9 minutes total) to be fully cooked and ready to serve.
*First Watch Seasoning: In a mixing bowl, combine and mix thoroughly to evenly distribute: 2 cups kosher salt, 1/2 cup black pepper, 1 Tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 Tablespoon onion salt, 1 1/2 Tablespoons paprika. After mixing, place in an airtight storage container and store in a dry place.
Recipe from the First Watch cookbook, used with permission| nancy-c.com
These potatoes taste best right when they’re made, so I would recommend not making them ahead and reheating—they are definitely best when they’re freshly-cooked!
THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. The comment chosen via random.org was comment #4, so congratulations to Kelly J for winning a copy of the First Watch Cookbook! I’ll be emailing you soon! 🙂
ABOUT THE GIVEAWAY…To enter this giveaway for a copy of the First Watch cookbook, just leave a comment on this blog post between now and Monday, March 16, 2020 at 9 p.m. (CST)–the random drawing will be made from the comments on this post only! The winner will be chosen randomly via Random.org and notified by Wednesday evening, March 18. Winner will be notified via email (if winner does not respond in 3 days, I’ll do another drawing). Giveaway limited to readers in the U.S. and Canada.
- First entry: Leave a comment on this post letting me know you’d like to win this book!
- Bonus entry #1: Follow me by email and leave a comment on this post letting me know.
- Bonus entry #2: Follow me on Instagram and/or Pinterest and leave a comment on this post letting me know.
- Bonus entry #3: Follow me on Facebook and/or Twitter and leave a comment on this post letting me know.
- Bonus entry #4: If you already follow me at least two different ways, leave a comment on this post letting me know which ways you are following.
Be sure to leave your comments on this post, not on social media—these will be the only comments entered in the giveaway! Note: If your comment doesn’t show up right away, it just means I need to click on it to approve it before it’s visible–I do this because of spam comments that sometimes come through! Your comment(s) WILL show up!
Sharing at Inspire Me Monday, Silver Pennies Sundays, Happiness is Homemade, Fiesta Friday, Weekend Potluck, Meal Plan Monday, Thursday Favorite Things, Full Plate Thursday, Tasty Tuesdays, Wonderful Wednesday, Hearth & Soul.