Weather it’s summertime or Super Bowl time, you’re probably deciding on what kind of snacks you want to make. If you’re still looking for ideas, this Texas Caviar is a great recipe to try! Some people also call it Cowboy Caviar. I’ve seen lots of variations on this dip and decided to come up with my own version.
Most recipes you’ll see have black beans, black-eyed peas or pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion. I like adding chopped green chiles and avocado to mine. And olives–don’t forget the olives! It’s actually quite a healthy mix of veggies and beans. I used canned diced tomatoes, but you can dice up some fresh ones, and you can use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned. This easy-to-make dip tastes great! Serve it with those scoop-style chips and enjoy every bite!
TEXAS CAVIAR by NancyC
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 small red onion (or 1/2 large), finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (or use an equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (or use a 10-ounce bag of frozen corn, thawed)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (I used sliced Kalamata olives)
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles (or use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2/3 cup Italian salad dressing (regular or light)
- 1 large avocado, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all ingredients, except for the Italian salad dressing, cilantro, and avocado in a large bowl, blending so all ingredients are distributed evenly.
Add the Italian dressing; toss well so all ingredients are coated with dressing.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Then toss with chopped fresh cilantro and avocado.
Put mixture into a large serving bowl or several smaller bowls and serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe from NancyC | nancy-c.com
This is a great snack to enjoy on the patio for summer! And of course it’s great for game-watching too! When it comes to watching the Super Bowl, I have to admit I actually enjoy the commercials the most! I like going to sports games, but watching them on TV just doesn’t hold my interest. What do you like best—the game or the commercials?