Burgers are pretty versatile. There are so many different kinds of condiments and toppings you can use. I usually make mine pretty traditional–mayo, lettuce, and tomato on top and some mustard, ketchup, and maybe some pickles and onion on the burger itself.
This time I decided to try something a little different–instead of the mayo and lettuce, I used chopped avocado on top with some thin slices of onion and a slice of tomato. And on the bottom, a cooked burger patty with a few slices of melted cheddar cheese and some salsa. And instead of using a hamburger bun, I used a sourdough roll–that was really good! A whole wheat roll would be great too.
You can add in or substitute ingredients to your liking, but you at least need to try this with the avocado, cheese (2 slices if you like it cheesy), and salsa, and see what you think! And for those of you who don’t eat beef, you can use a veggie burger. I think this would also work great with grilled chicken!
Avocado Salsa Cheeseburger
AVOCADO SALSA CHEESEBURGER by NancyC
Makes 1 burger–multiply recipe by the number of burgers you are making
- 1 sourdough roll, cut in half (or substitute a wheat or onion roll)
- 1/2 of an avocado, chopped (or mashed)–toss avocado with a dash of lemon juice
- 1 to 2 thin sliced of yellow or red onion
- 1 thin slice of tomato
- 1 ground beef burger patty, cooked the way you like it (you can substitute a veggie burger or grilled chicken breast)
- 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of your favorite salsa
- Optional: other condiments, if desired (sliced green chilis or banana peppers would be good)
On the top half of the sourdough roll, add the chopped or mashed avocado, onion slices, and tomato slice; set aside.
On the bottom half of the sourdough roll, place your cooked burger and add 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Melt the cheese on the burger using a microwave for 10-15 seconds or put it back on the grill if you’re grilling your burgers. After cheese is melted, add salsa and any other condiments you might want to add. Then carefully put the top and bottom halves together and dig in to that burger!
Recipe from NancyC | nancy-c.com
This burger can be a little messy to eat, so be sure to have lots of napkins on hand! Do you have any special ways you like making burgers?