Not long ago, I posted a yummy “comfort food”-type side dish called Easy Corn Casserole. It’s really good and very easy to make. Being a cheese-lover, I thought I’d try making another version with some sharp cheddar cheese and a little chopped green onion added in–and I loved the result! So I just had to share it with you! When you want something warm and cheesy, this is just the comforting kind of side dish you’ll want. It would be great served with a bowl of hot chili!
CHEESY CORN CASSEROLE by NancyC
Makes a 9×9″ pan
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can cream style corn
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream, light sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Optional: 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×9″ casserole dish or pan; set aside.
In large bowl, stir the two cans of corn and corn muffin mix. Add eggs, sour cream and melted butter, stirring everything together well, then stir in 1 cup of the shredded Cheddar cheese (and the optional chopped green onion, if you want to add a little savory flavor).
Pour this mixture into the 9×9″ pan and bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes or until set and golden. Remove from oven and top with the remaining Cheddar cheese. Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
I usually crave comfort food like this corn casserole in colder weather, and we’ve definitely been having our share of that this winter! What kind of comfort food have you been making lately?