One of my favorite breakfast dishes is quiche. When I make one, it’s usually on the weekend since I’m pressed for time on weekday mornings. But every so often, we have morning birthday celebrations in our department at work–and when we do, sometimes Jessica brings her wonderful Crustless Spinach Quiche! Jessica, a talented designer (you can see some of her work at JessicaWei.com), enjoys baking and makes great sugar cookies and cupcakes, too, which we’ve enjoyed at afternoon birthday celebrations.
Jessica shared her quiche recipe with me and I had the chance to make it myself last weekend. It’s really easy to make and has no crust, so it’s a little lower in calories, which is nice! She found the recipe at Allrecipes.com. Sometimes Jessica substitutes kale for the spinach and she also told me you can add other vegetables (like mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.) to the quiche mix. She uses another egg if she adds these extra veggies.
So I tried this two ways–one with just the spinach and green onion; the other with 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers added in with the spinach and green onion. I liked it with the roasted red peppers, and I think chopped sun-dried tomatoes would be great in this, too. I did not add an extra egg since I was only adding an additional 1/4 cup to the recipe. You can experiment and add in or substitute other veggies that you like…I recommend not adding more than two extra veggies, and keeping the amount to not more than 1/3 cup each…and you’ll probably want to add an extra egg in there.
Here’s the recipe!
JESSICA’S CRUSTLESS SPINACH QUICHE (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
Makes 8 servings, 231 calories per serving
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped (use just the white parts of the onions–depending on the size of your green onions, this should give you about 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped onions)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of an additional veggie or two, optional (try sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, or mushrooms)
- 4 eggs, beaten (if adding extra veggies, use an additional egg)
- 1 (16-ounce) container cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed croutons for sprinkling on top (instead of using crushed croutons, Jessica just sprinkles some bread crumbs very lightly on top, about 1/2 Tablespoon)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9″ pie plate or quiche pan.
Place thawed spinach in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until soft. Remove from heat and drain off any remaining liquid. Stir in green onions, other veggies if using (optional), eggs, cottage cheese, and Cheddar cheese. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with crushed croutons (or bread crumbs). Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until eggs are set (if you are adding extra veggies and an egg, your baking time may be a little longer).
Do you like having quiche for breakfast? What’s your favorite kind?