A loaded baked potato is one of my favorite lunch or dinner meals. If you like them, too, now you can have that great loaded baked potato taste for breakfast with this casserole! It isn’t the healthiest of recipes, but it sure is good! You can make this Loaded Hash Brown Potato Casserole a little healthier by using some lighter ingredients, but the bottom line is that it really falls into the comfort food category. I first saw a recipe for this at Plain Chicken. I made some changes to the recipe and really like the way it turned out! It’s great for breakfast or brunch, or as a side dish for other later-in-the-day meals. The Ranch dip mix gives this casserole a nice zing…if you love cheese, potatoes, sour cream, and bacon, this recipe is for you! I added in some sliced green onions, too, and you could also add in some fresh chives. It’s very easy to put together and so yummy!
LOADED HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE by NancyCreative, adapted from Plain Chicken
- 2 (16-ounce) containers sour cream or light sour cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise or light mayonnaise, optional (the mayo makes the casserole a little creamier)
- 1 (1-ounce) package Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dips Mix (the recipe from Plain Chicken calls for 2 packages, but that seemed a little too much for me…if you want a stronger Ranch flavor, you can try using 2)
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (set aside 1 cup of cheese for sprinkling on top of the casserole after it is partially baked)
- 2 (3-ounce) packages of real bacon bits (or 6 to 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled into small bits; you can use turkey bacon if you want)
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced green onions (slice both the white onion tips and the green stems; depending on the size of the green onions, you’ll need about 4-6)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives, optional
- 1 (28 to 30-ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13″ baking pan and set aside.
In a very large bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch dip mix until well-blended. Add in 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (save the remaining cup of cheese for later), the bacon bits, and sliced green onions (and chives, if desired), and mix well. Then add in the thawed hash browns and mix everything together well. Spoon this mixture into your lightly greased 9×13″ baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, and remove from oven. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the casserole and bake in oven an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
Then sit down and enjoy these tasty potatoes! 🙂
Sharing this recipe at Meal Plan Monday.