We had our snack time at work once again for the month of December, and it turned out to be a really great breakfast! One of the delicious items on the menu was a breakfast casserole made by Linn. He got the recipe from Ann, who found the recipe over at Food.com. It originated from Johnsonville Sausage, a company that makes more different kinds of sausage than I ever realized existed! They call this casserole the Johnsonville Easter Breakfast Casserole, but believe me, it’s good enough to make any time of the year! 🙂
So Linn baked this great sausage breakfast casserole for us and everyone loved it! It looked so good, I asked my co-worker Christi to photograph it with her iPhone since I didn’t have my camera with me. It’s a great dish to make for breakfast or brunch–here’s the recipe, courtesy of Linn, Ann, and Johnsonville Sausage if you want to try it!
SAUSAGE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE (from Johnsonville Sausage)
- 1 (12-ounce) package Johnsonville breakfast sausage links (can use pre-cooked links to make the preparation quicker and easier)
- 6 English muffins, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (can use frozen onions)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (can use frozen peppers)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (or a little more if you want) bacon bits or chopped bacon (fried crisp)
Cook sausage according to package directions. Cool slightly and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place English muffin cubes in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13″ baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Layer with sausage, cheese, onion, and bell pepper. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with bacon, and cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand to cool slightly, then cut into squares and serve.
It’s so good, it probably won’t last long!
Linked to Sundae Scoop.
This would be great for Christmas morning!
All of your recipes look so good! I will be back to visit! Happy Holidays! 🙂
Recipes like this one are a treasure to have on hand for the holidays. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary