I realized that I hadn’t made anything chocolatey in awhile and muffins seemed like a good idea. Muffins are easy and quick and don’t require a lot of baking time, which is nice when the weather is hot! These Very Chocolate Zucchini Muffins have chocolate chips in the batter, which make them extra good and chocolatey.
The recipe makes almost 2 dozen (22 to 23) yummy muffins—or you can make four mini-loaves instead (baking time will be longer). These muffins are moist, yet cakey, and they have nice rounded tops. They’re also a great way to use that zucchini from your garden or farmer’s market!
Very Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
VERY CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS by NancyC
Makes 22 to 23 muffins (or 4 mini loaves)
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (two 1-ounce squares)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light olive oil or non-GMO canola oil
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (or lite sour cream)
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini or regular chocolate chips (I prefer using the mini’s)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners (if making mini-loaves, grease and flour 4 mini-loaf pans).
In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave baking chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, grated zucchini, vanilla, and melted chocolate; blend well. Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (optional), and cocoa powder. Then fold in the chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Spoon into lined muffin cups or 4 mini-loaf pans.
Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If making mini-loaves, try baking those for 40 to 45 minutes.
Recipe from NancyC | nancy-c.com
Zucchini always makes baked goods so nice and moist. What do you like to bake with zucchini?