One of the things I love best about summer is all the fresh fruit of the season, especially berries of all kinds. And this is a great fruit salad to make in the summertime because it has blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries…mixed in with lots of other delicious, colorful fruit! Berry season is pretty much over where I live, but the berries are still available at the grocery store. Some of you may still be at the tail end of berry season–lucky you!
This salad also has some canned pineapple chunks and it’s sweetened with the pineapple juice from the can. So there’s no extra sugar, and I think the sweetness is just right. I love all the colors in this salad–it’s so bright and summery–and I wanted to post it before summer comes to an end!
SUMMER FRUIT SALAD by NancyC
Makes 10 servings
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (not syrup), undrained
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (you can use 2 cups blueberries if you don’t have blackberries)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sliced or halved fresh strawberries (you can use 2 cups fresh strawberries if you don’t have raspberries)
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 2 medium size bananas, sliced
Combine all ingredients in large bowl, tossing to coat all the fruit with the pineapple juice. Serve immediately.
If you need to make this ahead of time, combine the pineapple, mandarin oranges, strawberries, kiwi fruit, and grapes, and refrigerate. When it’s close to serving time, add the berries and bananas; gently toss all the fruit and serve.
Note: If you’re using blackberries in this salad, don’t use an enamelware bowl to serve it in–I found from past experience that blackberries can stain enamelware!
There’s still about three weeks of summer left, but we’ve already had some fall-like days. I’m always sad to see summer end, since it’s my favorite season. Is it still feeling like summer where you live?