A few days ago, I found a nice surprise on my doorstep–a box of beautiful Harry & David® Royal Riviera® Pears! And Harry & David® is also extending a special offer to me and my readers–a 20% discount on your next purchase of anything on their site when you enter the code NANCY20 during checkout! So if you still need some gifts, you’ll want to check out their site!
I learned a little about the history of these pears, too. These sweet and juicy pears, traced back to 19th century France, were brought to Oregon’s Rogue Valley in 1897, where they thrived in the climate there. And for 80 years Harry & David® have been shipping these pears from their southern Oregon orchards.
I was wondering why there was a spoon in the package, and then I saw a note explaining that, in celebration of Harry & David’s® 80th anniversary, and also in honor of National Pear Month (yes, December is National Pear Month!) they were inviting some pear lovers to take the “Spoon Test Challenge” to see if their claim that Royal Riviera® Pears are really “so big and juicy, you can eat them with a spoon” is true. So I did take the Spoon Test Challenge, which involved letting the pears ripen for 1-2 days, slicing them in half, and using a spoon to eat the juicy pear. And I am happy to verify that yes, these pears really are juicy enough to eat with a spoon! They are really, really good. If you like pears or know someone who does, these are a real treat!
Here are some serving suggestions for these pears:
- Halve, core, and eat with a spoon (makes a wonderful, healthy dessert!)
- Slice and serve after dinner with an assortment of fine cheeses
- Slice pears for salads
- When slicing pears for salads or dessert, Harry & David® recommends peeling them first, then sprinkling with some lemon juice to keep them looking fresh
Here’s a recipe for a salad you can try–this recipe was included in my package of pears, so I thought I’d share it with you. This would make a great salad for your holiday meal! You can also find more salad recipes at Harry & David.com.
ROYAL RIVIERA® ROGUE VALLEY SALAD (recipe and photo from Harry & David)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup walnut oil
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Gradually whisk in the walnut oil. chill for 20 minutes.
For the salad:
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 large or 2 small Royal Riviera® Pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup Rogue Creamery or other blue cheese
- 2/3 cup Harry and David® candied pecans, roasted pecans, or roasted walnuts
Gently tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces. Arrange on four chilled plates. Top with fans of pear slices. Sprinkle blue cheese evenly over the pears and lettuce and top with nuts. Drizzle the dressing generously over the salad and serve.
Are you a pear-lover, too? What kinds of recipes do you like to use pears in?