My friend Ann gave me this delicious recipe. This casserole is a great side dish, but it’s also a meal in itself! It has chopped broccoli, rice, onion, cheddar cheese, and chicken as some of the ingredients. So you get your veggies and protein. Just add a side salad and you have something really tasty to serve for lunch or dinner! I made it for my mom when she was visiting me a few weeks ago and she loved it. I actually made a mistake when I was making it, but it still turned out great! Ann’s recipe calls for 3 cups of cooked rice, and, not paying attention, I added 4 cups. So, because I had added extra rice, I added a little more cheese to balance things out a little. Ann’s recipe is shown below, and I added notes on how I had made it, too, just in case you mistakenly add too much rice! 🙂
ANN’S GREEN RICE CASSEROLE WITH CHICKEN
Makes a 9 x 13″ pan
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooked with water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes or pure chicken broth (I used 4 cups of rice by mistake–oops!)
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped onion browned in 3/4 stick butter (6 Tablespoons butter)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (because I had used extra rice, I increased the amount of cheese to 2 cups)
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken (deli rotisserie chicken works great) or 2 small cans of chicken
Mix all ingredients together and put into a 9×13″ baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
If you want to make this ahead of time, you can mix all the ingredients together the evening before, refrigerate overnight, and bake the next day…or freeze before baking if you’re making it several days later.
It’s easy to put together and so good and cheesy! Everyone you’re serving it to will probably want seconds!