I had some miniature peanut butter cups on hand and was looking for a recipe to use them in. My friend Ann said she had a wonderful recipe for peanut butter brownies that included peanut butter cups as an ingredient. She had made these many times for church dinners and other events, and they were always a popular item. She had me hooked…I had to try them! So I went home and baked them that evening. Everything Ann said about them was true…they are so yummy, with an irresistible combination of peanut butter and chocolate. This is a Betty Crocker® recipe and in addition to peanut butter cups, there’s also milk chocolate chips and creamy peanut butter mixed in the batter…a peanut-butter-and-chocolate-lover’s dream!
CHOCOLATE-STUFFED PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES from Betty Crocker.com
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 miniature peanut butter cups, unwrapped (you’ll need to buy a 15.6-oz. bag to have enough)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (you could also try semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips if you want more chocolate variety; or if you want your brownies super-peanut-buttery, use peanut butter chips…OR 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips and 1/4 peanut butter chips…there are endless possibilities!)
Heat oven to 350 degrees (if using a dark or nonstick pan, heat oven to 325 degrees). Grease bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch pan.
In large bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut 12 of the peanut butter cups into fourths (about 3/4 cup full). Stir cut-up peanut butter cups and chocolate chips into batter. Spread in pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately press remaining 24 candies in brownies in 4 even rows of 6 candies each. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Cut brownies into 6 rows by 4 rows.
NOTE: It’s unlikely you’ll have any of these yummy brownies left over, but if you happen to have extra, you can wrap them tightly and freeze them for up to 6 months.